[Comminterest] COMPASS/NCEAS Communications Workshop Opportunity E

Marty Downs downs at nceas.ucsb.edu
Fri Oct 1 13:58:32 PDT 2021

Dear LTER Communications interest group and graduate student
representatives -

We have found ourselves with a few open slots in an upcoming science
communication workshop offered through COMPASS
<https://www.compassscicomm.org/> and NCEAS <https://www.nceas.ucsb.edu/>.

COMPASS is one of the premier science communication training organizations.
So if you can make the times work, I'd suggest signing up as soon as
possible. Workshop details are below.

Thanks,

Marty

Our two sessions will help our participants to share what they do, what
they know—and most importantly, why it matters—in clear, lively terms (see
below).

Key preliminary details about our workshop

   1.

   When: October 12 and 14 from 9 - 11 am (PST) on both days (please save
   the dates and times). I will follow up with a more detailed calendar
   invitation in the following weeks.
   2.

   To do: Please register by Monday October 4, 2021 by filling in this quick
   survey <https://forms.gle/pFo1wR9fEXzYoFre9> (<5 min). Please take into
   account that ONLY REGISTERED participants will receive further details
   about our workshop.
   3.

   What’s next? I will be in touch as we get closer to the workshop
with logistics
   and a small amount of pre-workshop homework (~10 minutes).

If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to contact me, Francisco,
at: guerrero at nceas.ucsb.edu

Best regards.

More about the workshop:

Grounded in the latest research on communication, this workshop will
explore what makes people sit up and pay attention and how to build a
meaningful connection with your audience, from journalists to policy
makers, and even other scientists. Whether you're getting cold calls for
interviews, sharing your work with policymakers, or just explaining what
you do during a Zoom happy hour, this workshop will help you communicate
clearly, concisely, and compellingly.

In this 4 hour-long, interactive virtual workshop, spread across two days,
we will introduce tools and strategies to help you distill your knowledge
and communicate with diverse audiences. You will learn to use the Message
Box, COMPASS’ fundamental tool for breaking down complex topics into
digestible messages. This workshop will involve hands-on practice,
feedback, interactive exercises, and lots of breaks, so please join using a
webcam and be prepared to actively participate.

Francisco J. Guerrero

Science Communication Liaison, National Center for Ecological Analysis and
Synthesis (NCEAS)-COMPASS
(805) 893-2500
guerrero at nceas.ucsb.edu
735 State Street, Suite 300, Santa Barbara, CA 93101-5509
https://www.nceas.ucsb.edu/
https://www.compassscicomm.org/
<https://www.facebook.com/NCEASUCSB>
<https://www.linkedin.com/in/fjguerrerob/>
<https://twitter.com/fjguerrerob>
---
Marty Downs (she/her)  |  ORCID <https://orcid.org/0000-0003-2833-956X>
Director, LTER Network Office
National Center for Ecological Analysis and Synthesis
University of California - Santa Barbara
https://lternet.edu   |   LTER Zotero
<https://www.zotero.org/groups/2055673/lter_network/library>  |  Twitter
<https://twitter.com/uslter>

617-833-7930 (m)

*~~I sometimes find it convenient to email on nights and weekends. *
*That doesn't mean I expect you to reply during off-hours.~~*