[LTER-commcom] [LTER-diversity] LTER community message?

Johnston, Cora Ann (caj2dr) caj2dr at virginia.edu
Tue Jun 2 06:52:16 PDT 2020

I agree that these plans feel appropriate; I support both ideas and would gladly dedicate some of my time to them. In terms of an online community discussion space, I have been wondering if this might not be an opportunity to arrange programming for LTER grads that would help empower them to turn any motivation from the current moment towards supporting equity within their field of study. Specifics and strategies would probably be welcome right now. (Then again, others may suggest that we should focus this further up or across levels.)
Thanks for starting the conversation.

Regards,
Cora

Cora A. Johnston, PhD
Site Director

She/her

E coraj at virginia.edu
P 757.620.7016

University of Virginia
Virginia Coast Reserve LTER
Anheuser-Busch Coastal Research Center
6364 Cliffs Road
Cape Charles, VA 23310

ABCRC: https://www.abcrc.virginia.edu/siteman2/<https://www.abcrc.virginia.edu/siteman2/><https://www.abcrc.virginia.edu/siteman2/>

LTER: www.vcrlter.virginia.edu/home2/<https://www.vcrlter.virginia.edu/home2/>

"Science is the process that takes us from confusion to understanding in a manner that's precise, predictive and reliable - a transformation, for those lucky enough to experience it, that is empowering and emotional.  We must embark on a cultural shift that places science in its rightful place...as an indispensable part of what makes life worth living."   -B. Greene

[University of Virginia]<http://www.virginia.edu/>

[Twitter]<https://twitter.com/WildCora>