[LTER-BioProd] Agenda paper: new draft, and request to present

Adam Clark adam.tclark at gmail.com
Fri Jun 28 08:58:57 PDT 2019

Thanks! Though I am probably the least qualified on this email list to say
so, I think that the paper looks great, and don't think that any major
changes are needed before submission.

RE additional citations etc.
- L72-73:"Biodiversity science has demonstrated biodiversity - ecosystem
function feedbacks", other good citations might be (Fornara, D.A. & Tilman,
D. (2008). Plant functional composition influences rates of soil carbon and
nitrogen accumulation. *Journal of Ecology*, 96, 314–322; Eisenhauer, N.
(2012). Aboveground–belowground interactions as a source of complementarity
effects in biodiversity experiments. *Plant and Soil*, 351, 1–22;
Schnitzer, S.A., Klironomos, J.N., HilleRisLambers, J., Kinkel, L.L.,
Reich, P.B., Xiao, K., *et al.* (2011). Soil microbes drive the classic
plant diversity–productivity pattern. *Ecology*, 92, 296–303.)
- L111 - Potentially Elton, wrt. invasions and invasion suppression?
- L174, maybe Huffaker 1958, or Gause 1934. Or for more modern, (Huisman,
J. & Weissing, F.J. (1999). Biodiversity of plankton by species
oscillations and chaos. *Nature*, 402, 407–410.)
- L259: Perhaps cite (Carpenter, S.R., Mooney, H.A., Agard, J., Capistrano,
D., DeFries, R.S., Diaz, S., et al. (2009). Science for managing ecosystem
services: Beyond the Millennium Ecosystem Assessment. Proceedings of the
National Academy of Sciences of the United States of America, 106,
1305–1312.) as an example of the need to address feedbacks?
- L274: Maybe Hooper 2005 is a good citation for this section, as well as
the Loreau book? And maybe even the Levin pattern and scale paper?
- L290, maybe (Loreau, M. (2010). From Populations to Ecosystems:
Theoretical Foundations for a New Ecological Synthesis. Princeton
Monographs in Population Biology. Princeton University Press, Princeton,
NJ.)?
- L302: Good citations for temporal variation might be (Arnoldi, J.-F.,
Bideault, A., Loreau, M. & Haegeman, B. (2018). How ecosystems recover from
pulse perturbations: A theory of short- to long-term responses. *Journal of
Theoretical Biology*, 436, 79–92), (Haegeman, B., Arnoldi, J.-F., Wang, S.,
de Mazancourt, C., Montoya, J.M. & Loreau, M. (2016). Resilience,
invariability, and ecological stability across levels of organization.);
good citations for spatial might be (Wang, S., Loreau, M., Arnoldi, J.-F.,
Fang, J., Rahman, K.Abd., Tao, S., et al. (2017). An invariability-area
relationship sheds new light on the spatial scaling of ecological
stability. Nature Communications, 8, 15211.)
- L315: Again, maybe a good place for the Carpenter citation from above?
- L331: RE shifts and feedbacks, potential citations also include
(Scheffer, M., Carpenter, S., Foley, J.A., Folke, C. & Walker, B. (2001).
Catastrophic shifts in ecosystems. Nature, 413, 591–596.); (Scheffer, M.,
Bascompte, J., Brock, W.A., Brovkin, V., Carpenter, S.R., Dakos, V., et al.
(2009). Early-warning signals for critical transitions. Nature, 461, 53–59.)
- L343: Another good citation for remote sensing might be (Cavender-Bares,
J., Gamon, J.A., Hobbie, S.E., Madritch, M.D., Meireles, J.E., Schweiger,
A.K., *et al.* (2017). Harnessing plant spectra to integrate the
biodiversity sciences across biological and spatial scales. *American
Journal of Botany*.)

On Fri, Jun 28, 2019 at 4:03 PM Mary O'Connor <oconnor at zoology.ubc.ca>
wrote:

> Hello everyone!
>
> I hope you are well, and off to a great summer. I’m checking with an
> update of (hopefully) progress on the Agenda paper (attached). This
> progress is motivated by me giving a talk at a Biodiversity/Climate Change
> meeting in Switzerland this coming Thursday. Some of us will be there
> (Michel, Forest, Jane, Andy H…) and the Agenda paper leaders felt this
> would be a good time to present this to that audience. Many of the
> attendees will include people actively involved in the recent IPBES
> reports.
>
> So, two action items for you:
>
> 1. OPTIONAL: FOR THE TALK NEXT THURSDAY JULY 4: If you have time and would
> like to comment on this before I present the highlights next Thursday,
> please do! I apologize for the short notice on this, and I also apologize
> for sending it on a Friday. If you have any major reservations with me
> presenting any part of this, let me know. I would like to acknowledge
> everyone in this group as a co-author on this part of my talk, and if you
> would prefer that I not do that (or not include your name at this stage)
> let me know. *Ideally, before Tuesday July 2nd*. *If I don’t hear from
> you I’ll assume it’s ok to present this with you included as a contributor.*
>
> 2. FOR THE MANUSCRIPT: Please read and comment on this version of the
> manuscript. I’d like to know how close this could be to submittable. I
> expect another round to the group for ‘final’ feedback after this round,
> but let me know if I’m off base. I’ve attached a PDF here so you can:
> - read and provide general comments on big/conceptual issues at this
> stage.
> - If you would like to work on text or figures, I would welcome the help
> and please let me know, I will send a word doc and we can discuss.
> - please help me with references and examples! You all know some part of
> the literature better than I do! Highlighted refs are ones that I don’t
> have but were suggested, so please fill those in too.
> - I still (as always) need major help with figures so if you are inspired,
> please help here!
>
> *Deadline for comments on this draft: July 12th*. This is very
> negotiable. After that I will revise and send back out, at that would be a
> time for finessing wording, etc (we don’t all have to do this, but a few
> helpers here would be great).
>
> Still need to make a final call on where to submit. We’re just over 3000
> words now and this seems like a good length to me, but I welcome in put on
> that too.
>
> Best wishes,
>
> Mary
>

> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> Dr. Mary O'Connor
> Associate Professor, Department of Zoology
> Associate Director, Biodiversity Research Centre
> University of British Columbia
>
> ph: 604-827-5653
> oconnor at zoology.ubc.ca
> oconnorlab.weebly.com

Adam Clark
Postdoctoral Scholar
German Centre for Integrative Biodiversity Research
(iDiv) Halle-Jena-Leipzig
Deutscher Platz 5e, 04103 Leipzig
+49 0176 86289411; +1 (857) 544 6782
www.adamclarktheecologist.com