[LTER-BioProd] Agenda paper: new draft, and request to present

Eric Seabloom seabloom at umn.edu
Mon Jul 22 11:14:20 PDT 2019

Hi Mary -

Thank you for moving this forward - these types of papers are challenging, at least for me.
I added comments on top of the others. Hopefully these are relevant, as I had to miss the last meeting.

In addition, to my more specific comments, I had a couple general points:
- I felt I needed a clearer vision of the audience. Currently, this feels a bit internally focused on people doing research on biodiversity. Maybe this was just some missing definitions and context (eg IPBES and sustainability). If the audience is more general (which I am guessing is the case), then I have made some comments where more explanations, definitions, and context are probably needed.
- I felt that stating the goal of the paper right up front would be helpful and might also address the target audience.
- I feel like the paragraph starting on line 89 is a key point. It lays out two core challenges: putting feedbacks into current models and putting feedbacks into IPBES. A couple points on this paragraph.
Since one one of our two core challenges deals with a shortcoming of IPBES, it seems this should be set up more strongly with a little background and history. In fact, addressing this IPBES limitation is set up as the primary goal of the paper in the next paragraph. In addition, we are ending up with two sets of challenges now - the two core challenges and the seven grand challenges. Maybe these need a different name or as suggested in other comments they could be combined. Are feedbacks a stand alone grand challenges or are they source the leads to the other 7 challenges.

Thank you again for taking the lead on this paper.

Best,

Eric