[LTER-All-lter] LTER Community Building Working Group for underrepresented researchers

Kristen Weiss weiss at nceas.ucsb.edu
Fri Feb 5 13:44:38 PST 2021

Dear LTER community,

The LTER Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion committee
<https://lternet.edu/committees/diversity-committee/> would like to invite
all members of the LTER community who self-identify as a member of a group
that is underrepresented in the network, their site, or their professional
spaces to join a monthly conversation group via Zoom. Each month the group
will highlight the work of underrepresented researchers from a different
region within the network and discuss a topic of general interest in a
safe, professional, but casual setting.

The goal of this monthly meetup is to create spaces for community-building
and mentorship among those of us who do not see our identities sufficiently
represented in our professional spaces.

These meetings kickoff next *Tuesday, February 9th, 2021 at noon PST/ 2 pm
CST* by highlighting work from our colleagues in the Southwest, Dr. Anny
Chung and Dr. Laureano Gherardi, and by talking about mentorship and the
ways that we have found (or not found) the support and guidance we need to
navigate mostly male, white, straight, cis, able bodied spaces in ecology
and the academy.

Please register here
<https://ucsb.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZMldeGsqTgoGNd4K6Q23y_xN-nwM0m_8RIT>
for
this and other upcoming seminars! And learn more about the working group
here <https://lternet.edu/stories/community-building-seminars-2021/>. The
attached flyer provides more information about the Feb 9th event.

For questions, you can reach out to Cristy Portales Reyes (porta020 at umn.edu
).

On behalf of the LTER Diversity Committee and Community Building Working
Group, we welcome your participation and feedback!

--
Kristen Weiss, PhD
Communications Coordinator, Network Communications Office

weiss at nceas.ucsb.edu