[LTER-All-lter] tenure track position in limnology at University of Wisconsin-Madison

George Kling gwk at umich.edu
Sat Sep 7 05:44:53 PDT 2019

Dear LTER Colleagues -- the University of Michigan is replacing Knute
Nadelhoffer who is retiring from his position as Professor and Director of
the University of Michigan Biological Station (UMBS).  Please consider
forwarding the attached job announcement to your network of scientists.

Thank you,
George

*Professor and Director of the U-M Biological Station*

The College of Literature, Science, and the Arts (LSA) at the University of
Michigan solicits
applications and nominations for the position of Director of the University
of Michigan
Biological Station (UMBS). The UMBS, located in northern Michigan about 20
miles south of
the Mackinac Straits and 230 miles from Ann Arbor, encompasses a protected
site of more than
10,000 acres of mostly forested land, lakeshores, wetlands and riparian
ecosystems that has been
largely undisturbed since its establishment in 1909. The UMBS is an NSF
Experimental
Ecological Reserve, a U.N. International Biosphere Reserve, and a US
Department of Energy
Ameriflux Core Site. It has hosted research in recent years supported by as
many as 39 agency
grants from the NSF, the Department of Energy, the US Forest Service, EPA,
and various other
sources. The UMBS has staff, facilities, a year-round field campus, a
modern analytical
chemistry laboratory, and a budget to support its mission of teaching and
environmental
research. It is also the site of several well-established longitudinal
studies. Although the Director
resides in Ann Arbor during the academic year, she/he will normally occupy
the Director’s
residence at UMBS during summers.

We seek an individual with a distinguished research record and credentials
suitable for a tenured
academic appointment as Professor in an LSA Department such as Ecology &
Evolutionary
Biology or Earth & Environmental Sciences. The Director will play a central
role in promoting
interactions nationally and with University of Michigan units, such as the
U-M School for
Environment and Sustainability, the College of Engineering, and the School
of Public Health, as
well as with LSA departments and programs, and will foster and maintain
relationships with
communities local to UMBS. The successful candidate will have a record of
intellectual and
administrative leadership, experience in obtaining grant support from
public and private sources,
and a record of excellence in teaching.

The Director is also charged with sustaining the Biological Station’s
diverse course offerings,
broadening participation of under-represented groups among UMBS students,
faculty,
researchers and staff, and fostering an inclusive field station community.
She/he will also be
responsible for managing and expanding the range of UMBS research, and the
continued
development of major research initiatives. As a tenured faculty member,
she/he is also expected
to contribute to teaching in the academic unit of tenure.

Applicants should submit a letter of application that includes a statement
of prior leadership and
management experience and evidence of commitment to diversity, equity and
inclusion through
scholarship/research, teaching/mentoring, or service/engagement; a research
statement;
curriculum vitae; and names and contact information for at least three
references at:
webapps.lsa.umich.edu/Apply/BioStn. The search committee will begin
consideration of
applications on September 30, 2019 and will continue until the position is
filled. This is a
university-year appointment with an expected start date of September 1,
2020.
The University of Michigan is an equal opportunity, affirmative action
employer and is
supportive of the needs of dual career couples. Women and members of
under-represented
groups are especially encouraged to apply. Additional information about the
Biological Station
is at https://lsa.umich.edu/umbs .