[LTER-All-lter] Announcing the NATURA network of networks

Marty Downs downs at nceas.ucsb.edu
Mon Nov 18 10:35:44 PST 2019

Dear Friends and Colleagues,

We are excited to announce that the NATURA project (Nature-based Solutions
for Urban Resilience in the Anthropocene) has been funded by the US
National Science Foundation for US$2,000,000 for five years. NATURA is
designed to be an international network of networks that exchange and
synthesize knowledge, data, and solutions among researchers and
practitioners on nature-based solutions to advance urban resilience.

LTER is part of the founding network of networks. The Natura-net.org website
provides a link to the funded proposal. The Natura Coordinating Committee
is eager to discuss how we can together accomplish our proposed (and any
additional new) goals for knowledge sharing, training, and synthesis by
bringing our (and potentially other) networks together.

To get started, please respond to this brief survey
<https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1g2NEjytAsxH0fhhOLN86SX4kbhAECFKx8tyix40u8Yo/edit?ts=5dbb151e>that
will help us begin to articulate the vision and goals for NATURA more
concretely. The survey requests information about you and your network, and
includes five important questions that we will analyze and use as a short-
and long-term horizon scanning exercise. It is very important that we get a
diverse response to this survey, so please share it widely with your
networks. Natura's next steps will be to organize a meeting of the
Coordinating Committee*, the core 26 networks, and an in-person NATURA
kick-off meeting (likely April/May 2020).

The primary NSF funding includes support for three in-person All Hands
Meetings (2020, 2022, 2024) for network-wide knowledge synthesis and
exchange, funding for early career scholars, practitioners, and students to
spend 5-15 weeks learning at a different network institution, and funding
for 3-4 day multi-network in-person thematic working groups. This is the
basic starting point from which we hope to grow an active and effective
network of networks that significantly advances understanding and action on
urban resilience.

Thank you for completing the survey and disseminating it widely to your
network. We will be in touch soon to coordinate our next-step meetings.

NATURA core team,

 Nancy, Timon, Elizabeth, and Yeowon

*The NATURA Coordinating Committee:

   1.

   Nancy B. Grimm; Arizona State University; Urban Resilience to Extremes
   Sustainability Research Network (UREx), Urban Water Innovation Network
   (UWIN), US Long-Term Ecological Research network (LTER), International LTER
   (ILTER); PI
   2.

   Timon McPhearson; The New School; UREx, ENABLE, Future Earth Urban
   Knowledge Action Network (KAN); co-PI
   3.

   Elizabeth M. Cook; Barnard College-Columbia University; UREx, US LTER;
   co-PI
   4.

   Yeowon Kim; Arizona State University; UREx; post-doc
   5.

   Pippin Anderson; University of Cape Town; African Center for Cities
   6.

   Harriet Bulkeley; Durham University; NATure-based URban innoVATION
   (NATURVATION)
   7.

   Marcus Collier; Trinity College Dublin; Connecting Nature
   8.

   Chantal van Ham; International Union for the Conservation of Nature
   (IUCN); IUCN Urban Alliance
   9.

   Jordi Morató; Universitat Politécnica de Catalunya; United Nations
   Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) Chair on
   Sustainability, Recycle the City Network (RECNET)
   10.

   Weiqi Zhou; Chinese Academy of Science; Chinese Academy of Science (CAS
   Research Center for Eco-Environmental Sciences)

Nancy Grimm
Virginia M. Ullman Professor of Ecology; Distinguished Sustainability
Scientist
School of Life Sciences; Julie Ann Wrigley Global Institute of
Sustainability
Arizona State University
Mail Code: 4501
[Shipping: 427 E Tyler Mall, LSA316]
Tempe, AZ 85287-4501
*p: *480-965-4735  *f: *480-965-6899  *c: *480-278-9275
*email: *nbgrimm at asu.edu
*web: *http://www.grimm.lab.asu.edu/
Co-Director, Urban Resilience SRN <http://urexsrn.net/> | Executive
Committee, CAP LTER <http://caplter.asu.edu/>