[LTER-All-lter] News form the LTER-NCO: new LTER logo, ASM dates, jobs

Marty Downs downs at nceas.ucsb.edu
Wed Aug 30 15:35:28 PDT 2017

[image: Santa Barbara shoreline and wharf header]

August 30, 2017

It's hard to believe the summer is almost gone and the academic year is
starting. It was great to see such a strong LTER presence at the ESA
Meetings—with a synthesis symposium, an urban LTER symposium, and over 150
talks and posters <https://lternet.edu/esa-2017> from across the Network.

The NCO has several important updates to share with the LTER community and
site leadership teams that should not wait until the next scheduled *News
from the LTER-NCO* <https://nco.lternet.edu/news-from-nco-2017-summer/>.
LTER All Scientists' Meeting

At the Network Communications Office, we've been working behind the scenes
to confirm a date, location, and funding for the 2018 All-Scientists'
Meeting, which will be held:
September 30-October 4, 2018
Asilomar Conference Grounds, Pacific Grove, California

This is a change to the date announced earlier in the *News from the
LTER-NCO* <https://nco.lternet.edu/news-from-nco-2017-summer/> newsletter.
My sincere apologies to those who may have made plans based on the earlier
date.

We will be able to fund travel, lodging, and registration for up to 7
people per LTER site, with an emphasis on early-career and
under-represented researchers, plus information and education managers.
I'll be contacting Site PI's later this fall to ask for your list.

Meanwhile, please note the dates on your calendars and start brainstorming
ideas for talks, synthesis groups, and workshops. We only get to gather the
Network every 3 years; let's make the most of it! If you have ideas for
top-notch plenary speakers, please contact Marty Downs or Frank Davis until
the planning committee is fully assembled.
New LTER logo

Logos redesigns can be difficult. It's extraordinarily hard to capture the
essence of an organization (particularly one as diverse as the LTER
Network) in a single image, but it was time for an update. Working with a
professional design team, the Network Communications Office developed
several options for the LTER Executive Board to consider and also sought
input from across the LTER community. We received over 280 responses to our
survey, many with thoughtful and insightful comments.

In the end, we didn't choose any one of the logos offered in the survey.
Rather, we tried to incorporate the intent of the most frequent types of
response. The LTER community wanted a logo that felt as warm and inviting
as we try to be; that incorporated elements of both science and time; that
said ecological research, not technological research...and that had a
certain individuality and uniqueness.

The new LTER Network logo—as approved by the LTER executive board and
NSF—is shown below. We truly appreciate all the thoughtful and constructive
input from the Network. The NCO will begin incorporating it into materials
and web sites gradually, with the major shift happening later this fall.

[image: LTER logo 2017]
Open Positions

Several key positions are opening up around the Network. Please circulate
these announcements to qualified candidates:

   - The University of Virginia Department of Environmental Sciences is
   seeking a *Site Director for the Virginia Coast Reserve Long-Term
   Ecological Research Project <https://lternet.edu/node/84481>* and
   the Anheuser-Busch Coastal Research Center.
   - The Center for Limnology (CFL), UW-Madison invites applications
for a *Director
   for Trout Lake Station (TLS)* <https://lternet.edu/node/84474>.
   - Michigan State University seeks a *Director for the W. K. Kellogg
   Biological Station (KBS) <https://lternet.edu/node/84473>* to provide
   leadership and promote a creative environment that fosters innovation and
   excellence in the Station's research, education, and outreach programs.
   - The Sevilleta (SEV) Long-Term Ecological Research Program seeks
an *Information
   Manager <https://lternet.edu/node/84475>* to bridge scientific research
   and information technology in the management of data from a large,
   long-term research program focused on dryland ecosystems.

To learn about LTER Network-related job openings as they arise, email
downs at nceas.ucsb requesting to join opportunities at lternet.edu or visit
our opportunities
page <https://lternet.edu/opportunities>.
Conferences and Special IssuesThe Fall Meeting of the *American Geosciences
Union* <http://fallmeeting.agu.org/2017/> will be 11-15 December, 2017 in
New Orleans.

The LTER Network Communications Office is gathering a listing of talks and
papers, so please include LTER or Long-Term Ecological Research in your
affiliation or abstract if at all possible. We're also working with NSF
Public Affairs to bring media attention to some of our most newsworthy
stories. To give us a heads-up about your newsworthy paper, contact
downs at nceas.ucsb.edu.
Newsletters

*LTER Science update
<http://us12.campaign-archive1.com/home/?u=d7494403ed9d8c97a5479f0d4&id=51157f4ed5>,
issued monthly, provides brief, accessible summaries of recent science from
across the Network. It is designed to inform partners, educators, and the
broader ecological community as well as LTER Network scientists. Please
share and encourage your colleagues to subscribe.*

*News from the NCO <https://nco.lternet.edu/news-from-the-nco/>, issued
quarterly, provides regular organizational updates to LTER-associated
personnel.*

*From related organizations: *

   - The Environmental Data Initiative
   <http://environmentaldatainitiative.us14.list-manage.com/subscribe?u=c258a774cbd4d34290410d1ea&id=da346b264c>
   issues a bi-monthly newsletter for those who are interested in data sharing
   and archiving.
   - Critical Zone Observatory Network
   <http://us11.campaign-archive2.com/home/?u=352231f5e14f7bad9721e3a45&id=330ade1465>
   offers an occasional newsletter with news on Network research, education,
   and meeting activities.
   - The International LTER Network <https://www.ilternet.edu/> maintains
   an email list and a twitter presence <https://twitter.com/ILTER_network>.
   - Sign up for NEON's monthly newsletter
   <http://www.neonscience.org/observatory/observatory-blog> to learn more
   about the National Ecological Observatory Network and data collections
   rapidly coming online.

--
Marty Downs
Deputy Director