[LTER-All-lter] Science Communications Opportunities

Marty Downs downs at nceas.ucsb.edu
Mon Sep 12 14:46:14 MDT 2016

Here at the LTER Network Communications Office, we're big believers in the
power of effective science communication. But we understand that not
everyone shares our enthusiasm -- or can make communications a priority in
their work.

We'll be starting up a communications interest group to share resources,
tips and ideas, but while we get the ball rolling on that, I wanted to be
sure you saw two great new communications training opportunities.

These are the kinds of things I'll share mainly on the list once it's up,
but thought I'd share here to whet your appetites.

Marty

*SciFund Challenge: using Twitter to advance your research career*
Twitter can be a powerful tool for scientists, alt-ac researchers, and
academics generally. When used effectively, Twitter can advance research
careers, improve productivity, and further outreach goals.

In this new class, you'll learn the basics of Twitter, how to avoid social
media pitfalls, and how you can use twitter to achieve your goals --
whether you want to monitor your network for cool new papers, stay
up-to-date on meetings you can't attend, or find an audience for your
in-the-field blog. And you'll create a personal Twitter plan.
Registration deadline is: September 17; Class starts September 18.
More information  here: https://scifundchallenge.org/2016/08/
18/new-class-using-twitter-to-advance-your-research-career/

*AIBS Communications Boot Camp for Scientists*
<https://www.aibs.org/public-policy/communications_boot_camp.html>
The Boot Camp is an intensive, two-day, hands-on training program held
December 7-8, 2016 in Washington, DC. Cost is $495 for non-AIBS members or
$420 for members. As an AIBS member organization, LTER Network can nominate
individuals, who will receive the member price of $420. Please contact
Marty Downs (downs at nceas.ucsb.edu) if you are interested.

Participants will learn:

   - How to translate scientific findings for non-technical audiences
   - How to tell a resonant story that informs decision-makers
   - How to prepare for and participate in a news interview, including
   broadcast interviews
   - How to prepare for and engage in a meeting with a decision-maker
   - How to protect your scientific reputation
   - How to identify and define the audience you need to reach
   - What policymakers want and need to know from a scientist
   - What reporters are looking for in an interview
   - How the nation's science policy is developed and implemented
   - Participants will have the opportunity for formal and informal
   discussions with science policy and communications experts working in
   Washington, DC. A course outline is available here

Marty Downs
Communications Lead
LTER Network Communications Office (LTER NCO)

downs at nceas.ucsb.edu