[LTER-All-lter] Postdoc position at FIU, Miami: Trophic spatial ecology (FCE LTER)

Evelyn Gaiser gaisere at fiu.edu
Thu Aug 25 12:47:06 MDT 2016

Postdoc position at Florida International University, Miami: Trophic spatial ecology (FCE LTER)

Desired start date:  October-November 2016

Duration:      2 years

Salary:           $45,000/year plus benefits

Location:      Florida Coastal Everglades LTER (FCE LTER)
 Southeast Environmental Research Center
 Florida International University, Miami, FL
 http://fce.lternet.edu/<http://fce.lternet.edu/>
 http://sercweb.fiu.edu/<http://sercweb.fiu.edu/>
Position Description
We seek a talented and enthusiastic postdoctoral researcher to join our team of consumer researchers at FCE LTER. The postdoc will develop a study to improve our understanding of spatially-explicit food webs in estuarine, mangrove reaches of the Everglades. The project will be collaborative involving multiple consumer research labs (Boswell, Crowl, Heithaus, Papastamatiou, Rehage, and Trexler), but based and under the supervision of the Crowl, Boswell and Rehage Labs. The goal for the position is to stimulate synergistic collaborations among our labs and fuel new ideas into our understanding of spatially explicit predator-prey dynamics. The primary role of the postdoc will be to design and lead and independent field research that tracks prey and consumer dynamics along the Shark River estuary (see http://fce.lternet.edu/research/working_groups/?wg=19&p=FCEIII for previous research by our group). The postdoc will be expected to develop a research program focusing on the development and application of advanced sampling platforms consisting of acoustic techniques (acoustic telemetry and acoustic imaging sonars) and autonomous vehicles to quantify the spatiotemporal dynamics of prey production (fishes and invertebrate prey) and link it to the movement and trophic ecology of key consumers in the ecosystem (e.g., snook, bullsharks, alligators). Opportunities for synthesis of previously-collected datasets, for collaborations in the participant labs on related research questions and with the LTER research group, and for mentoring younger scientists are available.
Qualifications:  Experience and background in the use and application of acoustic methods to examine predator-prey, behavioral, foraging, spatial and/or movement ecology in aquatic systems is needed, and on fishes is preferred. Excellent field, theoretical and statistical skills, and evidence of these in previous work and publications. Applicants must have a demonstrated record of publication in peer-reviewed journals, ability to interface well with multiple collaborators, and preferably experience working on collaborative research projects and using acoustic tools. Applicants are expected to have earned a PhD in a relevant discipline prior to the start date.
To apply: Please send a single PDF containing (1) a cover letter describing your fit for this position (along with past accomplishments & career goals), (2) a CV with a list of 3 references, and (3) representative publications to the FCE trophic group at fishscience at fiu.edu<mailto:fishscience at fiu.edu>. Please use the subject matter: FCE trophic postdoc + your last name in your email.  Review of applications will begin immediately, and position is open until filled. We thank you in advance for your application and please expect a contact only if selected for an interview.
SERC is a research-intensive and productive academic unit with strong expertise in freshwater and marine ecology, biogeochemistry, and tropical/subtropical ecosystem dynamics. FIU is a public research university in Miami with a highly diverse, vibrant, and growing student body located near the edge of the Everglades. Our multiple campuses serve over 50,000 students, placing FIU among the ten largest universities in the nation. FIU is Carnegie-designated as both a research university with the highest research activity and a community-engaged university. FIU leads the nation in granting bachelor's degrees in the STEM fields to minority students, and is first in awarding STEM master's degrees to Hispanics. FIU is a member of the State University System of Florida and is an Equal Opportunity, Equal Access Affirmative Action Employer.