[LTER-All-lter] Update from the LTER Network Communications Office

Frank Davis frank.davis at nceas.ucsb.edu
Thu Oct 1 15:10:54 MDT 2015

Dear LTER Community,

Today marks the official start of the LTER Network Communications Office
(NCO)!

The team here at UCSB is excited to be working with you to coordinate and
support cross-network communication and outreach, synthesis research,
education and training. The office will be operated out of the National
Center for Ecological Analysis and Synthesis (NCEAS) in downtown Santa
Barbara.

We are busy bringing the new office up to speed. Our immediate priorities
are to
- hire our lead Communications Officer;
- work with the Network Office in Albuquerque to identify and transition
those key functions and databases that will be maintained by the NCO;
- work with the LTER Executive Board and NSF Program Officers on a process
for selecting and supporting Synthesis Working Groups and Distributed
Graduate Seminars.

We are also working up a relatively short survey that we will send out to
you later this Fall that will help us better understand how to best serve
your needs and priorities.

We anticipate that it will take 6-7 months before we will be fully
operational. In the meantime, we are collaborating with Bob Waide and his
staff to make sure that there is no interruption of key services. The LTER
Network website and personnel database will continue to be operated by the
LNO during this period of transition.

We will keep you updated on developments. And we welcome your input and
ideas! We are establishing new email addresses for contacting the NCO
personnel; in the interim please send any comments or suggestions directly
back to me or any of the team members listed below"

Sincerely,

Frank Davis <frank.davis at nceas.ucsb.edu> (PI)
Carol Blanchette <carol.blanchette at lifesci.ucsb.edu> (NCO Education and
Training)
Jenn Caselle <jenn.caselle at ucsb.edu> (Research Coordination)
Matt Jones <jones at nceas.ucsb.edu> (Computing/Informatics Training)
Jai Ranganathan <jai.ranganathan at gmail.com> (Communications Training)
Stacy Rebich Hespanha <hespanha at nceas.ucsb.edu> (Training, Program
Evaluation)
Mark Schildhauer <schild at nceas.ucsb.edu> (Technology services,
Computing/Informatics Training)

--

Frank W. Davis, Director
National Center for Ecological Analysis and Synthesis